Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Rant #200: Superman, Super Price


I see that a copy of Action Comics #1, the issue that featured the debut of Superman, went for $1 million at auction the other day.

This comic book is the holy grail of the genre, the most sought after comic book in history. There are only supposedly 100 of these around right now, and the buyer basically paid double what another collector paid for a copy, because this one is supposed to be in excellent condition.

Well, I don't have that comic book in my collection--I do have a reprint that probably goes for about $20 if I am lucky--but I have about 2,000 comics that I would like to unload.

I have had it up for purchase before, maybe about a year ago. A collector came to my house, bought about 50 comics for a pretty good sum, but he would not take the whole thing for what I considered a decent price.

Comic books were very important to me in my youth. I collected them religiously. I was a big DC Comics fan, collecting Superman, Batman, etc. I liked Marvel too, but my favorite, alas, was Daredevil, not in the pantheon of Spider-Man or the Fantastic Four.

But when I got to college, my tastes changed. I got into records again, and I had to make a decision: buy comic books or records. I went with the music, but never got rid of the comic books.

Most of my collection is from about 1963 to 1976. It is a nice collection, and would be a good starter collection for someone who is interested in comic books but doesn't have anything from this era.

And I want to add, these comic books were read from cover to cover. There maybe aren't any pristine mint comics in this collection, but there are plenty of gems--and like most collections of this sort, probably a couple of clinkers, too.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, please let me know through this blog.

I would really like to sell this collection, but alas, I don't have Action #1 to jump-start this thing out the door.

All I have is a kid's collection from the 1960s and 1970s--it may not be Action #1, but to me, it was once worth more than the $1 million someone paid for that classic issue.

Take it (for the right price)--it's yours.

(And happy 200th blog post!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

yasmin lawsuit