Friday, March 21, 2014

Rant #1,169: Spring Has Sprung



Today is the first full day of spring.

Spring sprung on us at 12:57 p.m. yesterday, right in the middle of my lunch break, so today is the first full day of spring.

Although the so-called "winter from hell" could have been much, much worse in my neck of the woods, it was pretty bad as it was.

I believe we have had the seventh worst winter in our history, just a little behind the sixth and all the way to the second or third.

The way they rate snowfall is not by winters, but by total snowfall from October-April, so we still could move up there if we get some more snow--and I believe there is some precipitation in the forecast for late next week, when it gets like 20 degrees colder than it is now.

But it could have been worse.

I remember the winter of 1995-1996, when we got more than 90 inches of snow, compacted into about two or three major snowstorms.

That was horrible. I was out of work, which made the whole thing even worse, but I also found a job in the middle of winter, too, the job that I am still at, 18 years later.

As a kid, you can't help but love the snow.

You take your sled out, find a hill, and shoot down it in reckless abandon. I know that I sure did.

As an adult, you hate the snow. It is a nuisance driving, you have to shovel, and it always comes at the wrong time.

So I wish this past winter season, at least, a hearty "goodbye" and hope for a much better spring season.

The weather is getting warmer, we haven't had any real snow in a few weeks, and heck, the ballplayers are getting ready in Florida and Arizona for another season, so that signals to me that the warm weather is right around the corner.

Good, because at this juncture, my bones ache, my allergies are killing me, and I am feeling much older than my 56 years.

And next month I gain a year, to boot, so heck, BRING ON THE WARMER WEATHER ALREADY!

Here comes summer ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

yasmin lawsuit