Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Rant #124: Please Vote


I know that this is not what one would call an "election year"--it certainly is not when compared to the country voting for President last year--but it is important that everyone gets out and votes today.

So many people take being a citizen of this country for granted, but one of the few things that you really should do to show your love for this country is to vote, even in an off-year.

Sure, looking around the country, there are some hot races. In my neck of the woods, Mayor Mike Bloomberg is running for his third term, skirting the term limits initiative that is in place in New York City.

John Corzine is running a hotly contested New Jersey governor's race against Chris Christie, where Christie's weight has been used by the Corzine camp against his opponent. Mud has been slung on both sides, and the last poll I saw had them running neck and neck.

There are some others, but yes, it is mostly a quiet year compared to what we had last year, when Barack Obama won the Presidency.

That being what it is, I think it is your civic duty to vote. I know, you say they get you for jury duty off the voting rolls. That may be true, but that is your civic duty too.

I know so many people who don't vote. They don't think they know enough about the candidates to make a good choice, they say, it is too time consuming, and they don't think their vote counts.

I say "poo" to that. One vote added to thousands of other votes equal a lot. If you don't know about who is running or the issues, get a newspaper and read up on it. As for time, the polls are open all day. I was there at 6 a.m. this morning. You don't have to do that, but you can do it, and do it after work if you need to.

So get out and vote. Do it for yourself, your family, your kids, and your country.

Yes, I know that is kind of pollyanna-ish, but it is something I have done since I was 18 years old--I have never missed a vote, during election years or non-election years.

It is an easy duty to fulfill, so go ahead and do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

yasmin lawsuit