Thursday, November 5, 2009

Rant #126: It Doesn't Get Any Better Than This (Finally)





Well, I would think by now that the world would know that the New York Yankees won the 2009 World Series by defeating the tough Philadelphia Phillies by a score of 7-3, and thus winning the Series four games to two.

This has been a long time coming for the Yankees and their fans. Since they last won the Series in 2000 (against the Mets), they have been in two World Series (2001 versus the Arizona Diamondbacks and 2003 versus the Florida Marlins) and lost them both.

In 2004, they were also up three games to none in the League Championship Series versus the Boston Red Sox and lost four games in a row.

And let's not forget that last year, they didn't even make the playoffs.

This is the Yankees' 27th World Series win, more than double the next team down from them in World Series wins. I think the next one down is the Cardinals, who have 10.

What made it extra sweet for me is that my favorite player, Hideki Matsui, had a monster game, with three hits--including a home run--and six runs batted in. He can't speak English, but this guy can sure hit.

Andy Pettitte once again proved why he is the biggest of the big game pitchers. If you watched the game, he was running on adrenalin, and little more. Roughly half his pitches were thrown for strikes, which usually means trouble, especially when you walk five batters. But he was able to get out of jams with his baseball smarts. In fact, he won all three clinching games for the Yankees in the playoffs.

The parade down the Canyon of Heroes is set for Friday. Although I won't be there--like most of you, I have to work--I will record the parade and watch it later.

I know it will send chills up my spine, as did the game yesterday.

Look, I don't get a pay raise if the Yankees win the World Series. I don't get a new car, and I don't get a new house. That being said, what I do get is satisfaction. As a life-long Yankees fan, every time they win, I feel as if I am part of it, even though in reality I am just watching them do their thing.

Baseball is our greatest sport. It is the only sport that can make people decades from their Little League experience into little kids again. As I was watching the game, I felt as if I was 10 years old again.

Anything that can make you feel young is good.

Baseball is the best, and the Yankees are the kings of baseball for 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

yasmin lawsuit