Friday, April 27, 2012

Rant #726: 55


Yes, "55" is my simple title for today's Rant.

Why, you may ask?

Sure, 55 mph is the legal speed limit to drive in many states, and it was an integral part of Sammy Hagar's past hit, "I Can't Drive 55."

But to me, it is a bit more important.

Tomorrow, I turn 55 years of age.

I can't believe where all the time has gone. It seems like just yesterday, I was playing in the dirt and mud with my friends.

Today, I am playing in the electronic dirt and mud with my friends, so I guess things haven't changed that much.

In 1957, the Chevy was a very popular car, Elvis was still the top singing star, and "I Love Lucy" was just about off the air.

The Yankees and Braves were in the World Series, and the Braves beat the Bronx Bombers. The Dodgers and Giants played their last home games in New York.

The word "files" related to things stored away in cabinets, and computers were humongous machines that only were available for businesses that could afford them.

Dwight D. Eisenhower was president, and Barack Obama wasn't even born yet.

I  can't believe where all the time has gone.

I was born in Brooklyn, moved to Kew Gardens Hills, Queens, very early on in my life, moved to Rochdale Village, South Jamaica, Queens, when I was seven, and moved to Long Island when I was 14.

I have been married twice, the second time far and away the best time, and I have two kids, 16 and 23. My wife (a fellow former Queens-ite) and I will be married 19 years in June.

It has been an amazing ride. I have seen everything from those horrible assassinations in the 1960s to moon flight. I have grown up in the best time to grow up, when we moved ahead so much in our everyday lives to the point we are at now.

It isn't all fun. The world continues to be a very unsettled place, and yes, you do have to look over your shoulder time and time again.

But all in all, it's been a very fun ride.

I wish I still had my hair, my belly is a little too round, but even though I'm just about 55, I haven't changed much.

Not only do people say that I look relatively the same as I did way back when (less the hair), but I don't think my mindset has changed at all in my 55 years.

I still believe family is our No. 1 priority, and nothing, and I mean nothing, stands in the way of family, I don't care what it is.

Health is also important, and the same thing I said for family goes for health too. I have had a few episodes during the past few years to know that health, and family, really are the most important things in life. It seems without one, you can't do the other.

So, tomorrow, on April 28, I will celebrate my birthday in relatively good health and with my family. I will probably watch the Knicks in the NBA playoffs against the Heat in the afternoon, go out to dinner in the evening, and relax for just about the entire day.

The best present? That tomorrow is a Saturday--no work, just fun.

So happy birthday to me, and everyone else born on April 28 (Ann-Margret, are you there?), and, I hope there are many more birthdays to come.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Larry!
    I have until July 7th to reach this milestone. i can't believe i'm this old. Funny enough if you were holding a ball in your baby pic you'd look my twin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some people say that I looked like Lou Costello as a baby, but look at that hair! I had some mane back then.

    And happy birthday to you to!

    ReplyDelete

 

yasmin lawsuit