Monday, December 10, 2012

Rant #861: Presents of Mind



The celebration of Hanukkah started on Saturday night, and lasts eight days, so we are right in the middle of it now.

Hanukkah is a joyous celebration, filled with happiness, good eating, and good gifts.

This year, my family is having our official Hanukkah party right before Christmas on Dec. 23. It's the best time to have it, because my sister's kids will be back from school, so that is how we are going to do it this year.

But for my immediate family, we had our celebration on Saturday night.

Among the gifts that were given out were an iPad for my wife and a knockoff iPad for my son.

We had so much fun figuring out these gadgets this weekend that I am ready to puke.

I really am.

They don't really provide very many directions for these types of things, and you absolutely have to have another computer nearby, or you are sunk.

I can't tell you how many times I went back and forth to this very computer I am typing on now to try to figure out things for these devices.

It took some doing, but we are pretty much A-OK, mainly with the knockoff.

The iPad will take a bit more figuring out, but my wife is ready and able to do so, and eager to learn how to use this thing.

Thank goodness for that. I still have a headache over all of this, I really do.

I am no computer genius, but with a little ingenuity--and with some searches on the Internet--I was able to at least get everyone started.

As for me, I mainly got clothes, which is OK. It is stuff that I needed.

I got new shoes and sneakers, a new watch, and I also got something you can't wear--a few new DVDs.

That is fine with me. There is nothing more high-tech for me than DVDs, and I really needed the other stuff.

My son has to learn how fortunate he is this year, and that really was the theme of the weekend.

He said some things that showed that he does not yet understand this, so he is going to have to pay for his misdeeds.

Come Wednesday, when that big bash at Madison Square Garden takes place related to relief for the victims of Hurricane Sandy, he will be making a donation to the cause.

Sure, it won't be much. My wife and I will kick in a few dollars, and he will make that donation.

It will be good for him, teaching him that gifts do not grow on trees. They cost money, and he should be happy with what he has.

I reallize that a lot of what he said came out of the frustration he had trying to learn how to use his new device, but he said things that have to be accounted for.

He will learn by giving, and not taking.

I hope he understands, because with all his kvetching this weekend, as I said, I still have a headache.

Giving is good for the soul, and his soul will feel better when he gives.

Kids have to learn that this holiday season is not just about presents; it's also about making sure your fellow man is taken care of.

And he will learn this on Wednesday ... as he plays with his new device.

That appears to be the modern way to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

yasmin lawsuit