Monday, June 17, 2013

Rant #985: Young 'Uns



Remember how on "The Andy Griffith Show" they used to call little kids young 'uns?

I assume it was a contraction, of sorts, of the term "young ones," but it was so connected to that show, as I had never heard the term used anywhere else.

Of course, this show featured a character named Opie, so yes, "The Andy Griffith Show" was really in a world of its own in Mayberry.

Anyway, I have my own two young 'uns, and both were in attendance yesterday during my family's Father's Day celebration at my sister's house.

I wanted to get a picture of the two of them together, as I don't have any very recent photos of them together in one picture.

But alas, I forgot my camera.



My wife came to the rescue with her iPhone, and the two photos you see here are the most recent photos of my son and my daughter together.

My own, personal young 'uns.

My son wasn't feeling that well. He gets clogged ears, due to excess wax buildup. My father and I have had the same problem over the years, and it has been passed down to my son.

My daughter was sick earlier in the week, but it appeared she had what I call a "24-hour virus," and she looked and felt a whole lot better yesterday.

So I finally got the photo I wanted, and it really was the best present I could get on Father's Day.

It was a good day all around for me.

I did get some nice gifts from my family, and later on, the Yankees actually won a game.

They led 6-0 going into the ninth inning against the Angels, and held on for a 6-5 win.

No, nothing is easy in this life, is it?

Well, not really.

I am easy to please, and on the rare occasions that I can get my son and my daughter in the same room, I am very pleased.

I am very proud of both of them, and the world really is their "oyster," another term I didn't make up but suits them perfectly.

Maybe one day they will have their own kids, and they will have their own young 'uns to contend with.

And that would make me a "zaydee," the Yiddish term for grandfather, another term I did not make up.

Let me "come to terms" about that another time.

But for now, yes, I am a proud papa, I really am.

Sheriff Andy Taylor, "eat your heart out."

And that goes for Aunt Bea, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

yasmin lawsuit