Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Rant #1,312: Blood Letting



During the year, when we go to the doctor, we have blood tests done, and we have to have blood drawn to be sent to the lab to do this.

Most people do not have a problem with this.

I have had blood drawn so many times that I feel like a blood pin cushion.

But not everyone is as comfortable doing this as I am.

My wife is terrified of the process, and has been since I have known her.

Last night, after work, she had to have blood drawn as part of her physical.

And as her husband, as I have always been, I was at her side as this ritual was performed by the nurse.

It takes a few minutes to do, but it must feel like days to my wife.

One also has to fast, and that adds to the situation.

My wife is much better than she used to be with this.

She used to get completely dizzy and even faint.

And it didn't necessarily have to had been blood work done on her. I remember her fainting when blood work was done on our son some years ago.

So, as I have always done, I stand by her side, make her look me in the eyes with her own pearly orbs, and Voila!, it is done.

It takes her a few minutes to sit up, she has her orange juice, and she is right again.

Happily, she is also in just about perfect physical condition. She has aches and pains like we all do at this age--she ages another year on Nov. 10--but everything else is pretty much excellent.

Her legs do bother her, but we know that is from her job, standing up all day as a bank teller.

But otherwise, she is as fit as the proverbial fiddle.

She watches herself, and to me, she has the body--both inside and out--of a woman 20 years younger than she actually is.

But whatever the case, she had blood drawn yesterday, and now that has to be processed.

I am sure her blood will show that she is fine in every way that they use the blood for a determination.

I don't mind serving in her stead when she gives blood. I find it kind of gallant, what a husband should do if his wife needs assistance.

It was a long day yesterday, we didn't get home until after 7:30 p.m., but I found it was well worth it.

And in this time of Halloween, what is more appropriate than a column about blood, anyway?

You supposedly can't get blood from a stone, but you can get it from this column.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

yasmin lawsuit