Thursday, May 17, 2012

Rant #738: (Internet) Radio Killed the Radio Star


So, yes, I was interviewed on Internet radio yesterday, on the Frank Todd show.

It went pretty well, I thought.

He gave me a solid hour to push my various sites--primarily my Alternative Top 40 Yahoo Group site at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AlternativeTop40/--and I got in just about everything I wanted to say about the music that was being played.

I did blank out at his question about the last legitimate, new vinyl 45 I bought in a record store. I believe it was Faith No More's "Epic" or an Alannah Miles song--the followup to her No. 1 hit "Black Velvet" that I still can't remember the name to--but I blanked out on the name Faith No More and I couldn't remember the name of the Miles' song.

Other than that, I think I did pretty well.

He asked me about the site, my taste in music--yes, I told him about my upbringing in Rochdale Village, and the influence it had on my musical tastes--and about my record collection, primarily my singles collection.

I saw how Internet radio runs, that in between his questions and my answers, he could basically drop in the music that he wanted to play from the site. The show, basically, is constructed from the patter between the DJ and myself, and the music is plopped in later.

And there was an eclectic mix of stuff, everything from Tim Curry's "I Do the Rock" to XTC's "The Mayor of Simpleton," and lots of 1960s material or related-to-the-1960s tunes.

It was fun being interviewed. I hadn't done anything like this in years, and I told Todd that if he needs me again, he knows where to find me. He mentioned that perhaps in the future we could do a Monkees-only show, which I would certainly agree to. That might be fun.

And the whole thing was over by 8:30 p.m.

We don't know exactly when the show will run, probably next week, and I will keep you updated on that, because I want to hear it too--and record it for posterity.

So, I guess I became famous overnight, sort of. I don't know how many people listen to these podcasts, but I guess enough people listen to make it worthwhile.

And I hope you listen to. Please let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

yasmin lawsuit