Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Rant #781: Pierce Arrowed


In three months, minors in New York State will need their parents' consent if they decide that they want to pierce their belly buttons, their eyebrows, their cheeks, their tongues, or wherever else they want to put holes into on their bodies.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo, in one of the few good and smart things he's done since he was elected to that office--in my opinion--signed into law yesterday a measure that prohibits anyone younger than 18 years of age from getting a piercing without patental consent. The law takes effect in 90 days, so youngsters have until the end of October to get piercings done without mom and dad knowing about it.

Cuomo said in a statement: "Body piercing can result in severe health risks and it is our obligation as New Yorkers and parents to make sure that our teens are taking every precaution to remain healthy and safe." He said studies show that about 20 percent of all piercings result in infection.

State law already requires someone to be at least 18 before they get a tattoo.

A customer's identification must be checked by piercing studios, and if the person is underage, teens must provide a consent form, signed by a parent or guardian in the presence of the studio owner or piercing studio employee.

With the law, New York became the 32nd state to mandate that minors get their parents' approval before getting a body piercing.

And no, the law does not apply to ear piercing.

I don't get body piercing, and I don't get tattoos, so I have to applaud the new law.

Kids don't think when they do these things to themselves--not only don't they think about the possibility of infection, they don't think of the future.

Would you hire someone with visible piercings and rampant tattoos all of their body? Not if I was an upstanding business. I can see these people working in tattoo parlors, but where else would such body art be tolerated?

And I don't know about you, but I find these garish gestures absolutely disgusting.

And yes, I have family members who have pierced themselves full of holes. They aren't bad people, but you are giving people another reason to judge you by displaying these things like they do.

When I see someone with tattoos and with rampant body piercing, yes, I immediately judge the person. It may not be right, but you are basically waving yourself in the wind when you do this to yourself.

And is this attractive?

No, I personally don't think so.

Being a Jew, we are not supposed to do this to ourselves--we are supposed to go to the grave the same way we came into the world--but this has really nothing to do with my feelings about body art.

Jew or not a Jew, I don't find these things attractive, I find them disgusting.

And kids, who want to show the world who they are, who want to stand out from others, are getting tattoos and piercings before they even leave high school--and go out into the world to really try to make a name for themselves.

Sorry, if I were an employer, and I saw all of this elaborate body art, you could be the best person for the job, but I would write you off immediately.

It is simply not professional to look like this.

Yes, I know society's attitudes are changing, but they aren't changing that much, at least not yet.

So kids, hold off on doing this to yourself.

If you feel you must have it done, now, at least in some states, you are going to have to wait.

And if waiting is the hardest part, so be it. Maybe something will flame up in your brain to change your mind while you wait this thing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

yasmin lawsuit