Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Rant #1,035: Happy New Year



Tonight, at sundown, begins the holiest period for Jews around the world.

It is the beginning of the Jewish New Year, and unlike other New Year celebrations, this is a very solemn one.

Jews take basically about a week and a half, bookended by two major holidays, to review themselves and where they are, and atone for any sins they may have committed during the year.

This holy period also includes Yom Kippur, which this year begins at sundown next Friday.

As I reflect on the past year, I have not been perfect.

There are many things I would like to change, and now is my time to reflect on them, and do something about them so they do not happen again.

This has been a tough year on me physically, mentally and emotionally, and being an eternal optimist, I am hoping that things can turn around as I look ahead.

Most Jews go to synagogue to pray during this holy period, but others do it away from a house of worship, which is all fine and good.

I remember going with my father to our temple, and spending long and hard days there praying for forgiveness.

I do not go anymore--since my son was bar mitzvahed, we do not belong to a temple anymore, and that is a story in itself which I am not going to go into here--but it is still a day of reflection.

Tonight, we will have the traditional meal, and most of my family will be there, including my sister and her boys.

Then we go right into it tomorrow.

Rosh Hashanah is actually two days, but I will take off from work tomorrow and go back on Friday.

This all leads up to the most holy day on the calendar, Yom Kippur, where you demonstrate your belief in God by fasting and praying for forgiveness.

Anyway, I will take tomorrow off, and be back on Friday.

To my Jewish friends, I hope you have a nice New Year and that the holiday goes well.

L'Shanah Tovah!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

yasmin lawsuit