Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Rant #1,044: You Can't Please Everyone



I am sure that I mentioned this some time back, but I am on the committee which has been tasked with creating a Reunion for the 50th anniversary of my beloved old neighborhood, Rochdale Village, South Jamaica, Queens, New York.

When I got into this, I really didn't think there would be too many problems. I would do my part, and everybody else would do their part, and everything would be hunky dory.

Little did I know ...

Forget about the stuff behind the scenes, which I am not going to get into here.

The stuff in front of the scenes has been enough to alert me to never get involved in such a project again.

I have learned that you really can't please everyone.

If it is not one thing, it's another.

We have had people complaining about the food--our caterer is Italian--with people wanting us to offer a less fattening menu, have dishes for people who are intolerant of one thing or another, etc.

We have had people question our attendee list, because they don't see certain people on there--and I don't mean friends, necessarily, but certain "types" of people, let's say.

We have had people think that even though the deadline for payment has passed, they can send in their payments at any time.

Heck, we had one woman who yesterday, clearly several days after the September 15 deadline, alerted us that she was sending in her payment from Alaska and that it would take at least 10 days to get to us in New York.

There have also been people who have questioned the validity of what we are doing, don't care for certain people, and have given us hell about it.

There have been so many other things thrown our way--and thrown my way, personally--that I really have to ask myself if it was even worth it for me to get into this thing in the first place.

This is supposed to be a happy, pleasant occasion, when people are going to see others that they have not seen in decades.

Yet, many still bear grudges that have lasted for eons.

One guy actually told me that he has held a grudge against me since 1965, and honestly, I barely know the guy!

But with all the nonsense, this thing is taking off like a rocket to the moon.

We have about 150 attendees all lined up, and even with all the nonsense, this thing appears to be the social event of the year for this group of people.

The committee--the four of us--have worked hard to put this thing together, and it appears as if our work has not been for naught.

But all the constant carping and complaining gets to you after awhile.

I, personally, have had my fill.

I know it is going to be a great occasion, but enough already.

I now know, for a fact, that you can't please everyone, or anybody, for that matter.

And I guess that that is a lesson that I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

yasmin lawsuit