Friday, September 6, 2013

Rant #1,036: Post-Holiday Reflections



Rosh Hashanah is over for me.

The holiday is actually two days, but for me, it is just one single day of reflection, then back to the same old grind.

And yes, today is a grind, because I have to go back to work.

And work has been a grind lately, with this massive book we are trying to get out.

Happily, I am not working tomorrow; it will be the first Saturday I have not worked in the last six Saturdays.

But I have to take my car in for service, and that is almost as bad as going to work.

My appointment is for 8 a.m., but I share that appointment with about 100 other guys, so the trick is to get there as early as possible, and be the first one on the line.

And that doesn't guarantee anything, either, because I do believe they work on the cars that were in the shop the night before first.

So I sit in my care for something like and hour or an hour and a half, and then they take my car, and I have to sit in the waiting room.

The last time, I sat in the waiting room for more than three hours waiting for my car to be finished.

I would almost rather be at work ... not quite, but almost.

Back to yesterday ...

It was a peaceful day, really no strain on me at all, which was good.

The holiday, which is supposed to signify, among other things, renewal, came at the right time for me.

I feel like I am totally burnt out. There are so many things going on now around me and involving me, that I simply needed a 24-hour period to completely unwind, and yesterday was that.

While I don't go to pray in synagogue, I do my own spiritual awakening at home, and I feel that that is fine.

Next week, on Friday night, is Yom Kippur, the holiest day of the Jewish calendar, and that is not just a day of renewal, it is a day of cleansing, cleansing one from the past and starting afresh.

I hope that day, on Saturday, is enriching as yesterday was for me.

Cleansed in mind, body and soul, and starting anew. That is the very basic premise of these two holidays, and they come at the right time this year for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

yasmin lawsuit