Monday, July 7, 2014

Rant #1,242: Good Time Off

It was really nice to have July 4 off from work, even though the actual day really was horrid.

It rained, and rained, and rained some more, washing out our plans for a family swim and barbecue day.

But we did not let that stop us.

We found what to do this weekend, and it started on July 3.

My work actually gave us a half-day off, so we only worked until 1:30 p.m.

It was very busy at work, so I stayed until near 2 p.m., but when I got out the door, my holiday began.

I went to the allergy doctor, got my monthly shots, and eventually worked my way home.

It was hot as all hell outside, very humid, and let me tell you, I could not wait to take off my shirt and tie.

And that is basically what I did once I got home, stripped down and let the air conditioning pour onto me as I watched "People's Court" and "Judge Judy"--there was nothing else on, and I needed something that wasn't too deep, because I was fried.

The next day was July 4, and it was a disaster, weather-wise.

Hurricane Arthur pummeled us with enough rain to last a month in just a few hours, and whatever plans we had were wiped out.

So we took in a movie, as did many people in our neck of the woods, because the place was packed.

We saw "Maleficent," the Angelina Jolie film about a retelling of the Sleeping Beauty legend. It was OK, not great, and with all the special effects, they made Jolie's skin look like porcelain.

Getting into the theater was the first mishap of the holiday weekend. I told the ticket taker that I wanted three tickets, and when he gave me the tickets, I did not realize that he only gave me two. I even said to my wife that the seats were cheaper than other places we had gone to see movies, and lo and behold, we found out how cheap they were at the door, when we were turned away, missing a ticket.

I went back, bought another ticket, and we were set, but unhappy. It's the first time that ever happened to me in the more than 50 years I have been going to the movies.

Later that day, after the film, we decided to bring in food for dinner, and I went to a fast food place that I won't name right now, because I had another incident there.

I ordered my food, and the person taking the order got it completely wrong. When I set them right, I had to wait for part of the order, and it seemed that the person taking my order forgot about me. I gave them about 10 minutes, and then brought it up to them that I was missing part of my order. They put in for the order, but initially put in for the wrong thing.

It was a disaster, fueled by the fact that the person taking my order did not have good English skills; she had a limited understanding of English ... what else is new?

Yes, I reported the place, and they did get back to me, saying that I was going to get a call from them. I am still waiting for the call.

As for what fast food place it was, let's just say the Red Sox play in the town this restaurant chain is named after. Figures, me being a Yankees fan ...

Anyway, on Saturday we really didn't do anything but watch baseball and finally have our barbecue.

And no, we did not watch soccer. Funny, who is talking about soccer now that the Americans are out of the World Cup? Not too many, not even the phony fans who were sitting at the edge of their seats for this nonsense as it played out.

Yesterday, we watched more baseball, swam in the backyard pool, and enjoyed our last day off.

Now it is back to the workplace, which I am looking forward to like getting the plague.

I have no other days off this summer, less one day I have to take off next week when my son goes through some testing.

Otherwise, I am truly fried this summer, and it isn't going to be pretty.

I hope you had a good time off, and now that it is over, I can say that even with the mishaps, it was fun.

Speak to you tomorrow, if I survive work today.

No comments:

Post a Comment


yasmin lawsuit