Thursday, July 10, 2014

Rant #1,245: Yeah, Yeah, Yeah



The Beatles have been recognized by just about every musical entity as the No. 1 act during the rock era, from 1954 to the present, even eclipsing Elvis as the most successful act ever.

Every barometer of success points to John, Paul, George and Ringo as the most successful act of all time, and their influence continues to be felt to this day, even though they broke up more than 40 years ago.

I know that the latest barometer of their success is as minor as can be, but it still demonstrates that even on this lesser measurement, the Beatles continue to rule the roost.

I have several Yahoo Group sites that I run, but the most successful has been my Alternative Top 40 site, at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/AlternativeTop40/info

It is a fun site that I have been running for about a dozen years now, where I upload songs and members vote on what songs they like the best. Simple as that.

I generally have between 12 and 20 songs up for review each week, depending on what members vote for. Those that receive the most votes each week stay on for another poll, those that don't get taken off.

And the songs I put up are not necessarily the hits. I put up B sides, album tracks, and stuff you will never hear on regular oldies radio, and probably won't even hear on satellite, or at least won't hear with any regularity.

Songs can remain up for review a maximum five times.

I run "seasons," and the 2013-2014 season recently concluded ... and lo and behold, look who the top act was ... it's the Beatles!

Of the many acts' songs I put up each year--more than 300 or so--the Beatles continue to rule.

The Fab Four placed 10 songs on my top songs list for the season, which means, since each song can last five weeks maximum for review, each of their 10 songs that I put up made the cut. Each lasted the maximum five weeks.

The top song on my chart for the 2013-2014 season was "Not a Second Time" by the Beatles, followed by another Beatles' tune, "Doctor Robert."

And I put up really obscure Beatles tunes too, like stuff from The White Album that never gets the light of day, such as "Cry Baby Cry," which was next on the list.

Beatles songs to follow throughout the top vote getters of the year were "Don't Bother Me," "Flying," You Know My Name, Look Up My Number," "Don't Let Me Down," "Good Night," "Long Long Long," and "Old Brown Shoe."

The next most popular act was a former Beatle, naturally.

George Harrison placed four songs on the top levels of the chart, led by "Bangla Desh."

Others on the upper reaches of the chart include Gerry and the Pacemakers--another Liverpudlian act, like the Beatles--with "It's Gonna Be Alright," the third most popular song of the season; the Mamas and the Papas, with their cover of the Beatles' "I Call Your Name" being the fourth most popular tune; and Harry Nilsson, John Lennon's drinking buddy, with his tribute to the Fab Four, a cover of "You Can't Do That," which came in at No. 5.

So, all told, the Beatles had a major influence on the chart during the last season, whether it was with their own renditions of their own songs, covers of their songs, or association with them.

Amazing.

Fifty years after they appeared on "The Ed Sullivan Show," they still have a major influence. Yes, I know that my chart means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things, but it is a fun barometer of what continues to be popular--

And as far as the Beatles, their popularity continues completely unabated.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

yasmin lawsuit