Thursday, November 6, 2014

Rant #1,318: Big Mouth



As I have gotten older, I have learned, without a shadow of a doubt, that sometimes, you have to have a big mouth to get anything done.

Unfortunately, although they say that the quiet ones are the ones to watch, the loud ones are the ones to pay attention to.

I am a pretty shy person by nature, but sometimes, if pushed just a little too far, I can get pretty smarmy.

I really can.

As per my Rant yesterday, I have been having a tremendous amount of trouble communicating to certain people that I need specific information sent my way for my son.

These public servants have been completely useless to me, and their methods simply do not work and do not serve the public, the people who pay their bloated salaries.

So I took the bull by the horns yesterday, and I think it must have worked.

After once again calling the numbers that the public is given to reach certain factions of our government--factions that plead that they will help you with your concerns but instead, simply clog up the pipes--and not hearing from them at all, at lunchtime, I did what I told them I was going to do, and I called their boss.

No, not their direct boss, but my county executive. He is, in fact, their boss.

I spoke to someone immediately at his office, and she told me that she would get right to it.

And she did.

By the end of the afternoon, I received a call from Social Services, and they said that they would send my son a temporary card and ID numbers, so he could take advantage of the programs that he has thus far been denied because of the idiotic system that Medicaid is.

Not only that, but I received calls at home from representatives of both Social Services and Medicaid ... now that I have their ear, you can bet I will be calling them today to voice my concerns about how their supposed "help lines" don't provide any help at all, unless you want help in experiencing complete aggravation.

Believe me, I am sorry that I have to do this, but sometimes, you just have to have a big mouth.

And, of course, the problem is not settled until I get his temporary card in the mail. But at least now, I have a better person to call if I don't get the card by late next week.

And yes, I will call my county executive again if this festers. They need to know that those that work under the county executive are not doing their jobs.

So, my words to the wise for you is that if you ever encounter problems that I have had--whether with government or even in a supermarket--always demand--and yes, I said demand--to speak to the boss.

I don't like going over people's heads either, but sometimes, you have to do what you have to do.

And a boss does not want to hear that his workers are not doing their jobs, I can tell you that for a certainty.

I know that Ralph Kramden on "The Honeymooners," when he was in trouble, always used to scream, "I have a BIIIIIIG mouth!" but sometimes, if you use it selectively and creatively with the right people at the right time, that big mouth can pay dividends.

Time will tell for my son.

I will next speak to you on Monday. I was told several minutes after this column was written that I have to attend to something tomorrow--nothing bad, just something that will require me to take the day off from work, so I will speak to you again next week. Have a nice weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

yasmin lawsuit