Sunday, October 28, 2012

Rant #833: Hit Me With Your Best Shot



This is an early Rant, one of the few times I have every posted on a Sunday.

It is supposed to be really bad in my neck of the woods tomorrow.

Long Island is supposed to get the brunt of Hurricane Sandy, and between the rain and winds of 70 miles per hour, things promise to be a bit of a mess.

Since I don't even know if we are going to have power, I figured I would put this out now, while the electricity is on.



And no, tomorrow is not a sleep-in day for either myself or my wife.

My wife received a call this evening that her bank will be open.

Why, I don't know. I guess people in the middle of a hurricane enjoy going to the bank to count their money.

Me, well, my place never closes.

Without getting into specifics, my place of business has no emergency weather plan.

Their credo is: If you can get to work, fine, if not, you can't get to work.

I kid you not.

Two years ago during a blizzard, I somehow got to work, but not before I almost got into a major car accident when my car spun around in the middle of a busy thoroughfare.

I got to work, very angry that I had even tried to get there, and the phone rang.

I picked it up, thinking it was someone to tell me that we were closed.

It was the owner of the place, who passed away a few months ago.

He says to me, "What are you doing there?" and I asked him, "Are we closed?"

He didn't know.

I later asked one of the vice presidents if we were open or closed, and he told me, "You managed to make it to work, and others won't be at work today."

That is the answer I received.

Pretty pathetic.

So when no one is out on the road tomorrow, I will be, as will my wife.

Heck, even my physical therapy session was canceled for today.

Smarter heads prevailed in our school district, which has shut down for at least tomorrow, so my son is home safe.

Well, anyway, if you are impacted by the storm, I hope it is minimally. I hope to see you back here on Tuesday, but let's see what happens.

The worst of the storm is supposed to occur Monday night into Tuesday morning, so everything is literally and figuratively up in the air.

Let's hope it all stays on the ground.

But I can take it.

Hit me with your best shot! Fire away!









No comments:

Post a Comment

 

yasmin lawsuit