Friday, January 4, 2013

Rant #876: WWE ... EEEEE!



A week ago, last Friday, my son and I went to another professional wrestling show at Nassau Coliseum on Long Island.

We attended the WWE Raw Holiday Show, and once again, we were quite entertained.

Right before the dawn of the New Year, the WWE put on a nice show at the old arena.

The place was only about two-thirds sold out, but since the event wasn't televised--and was going smack dab against the televised WWE Smackdown program on television--you have to respect the amount of people who actually bought tickets for this thing.

Of the maybe 8,000-9,000 people were there, a huge percentage were kids, and I mean kids from about three up to pre-teens.

Thus, to me, the WWE show is more like a 21st century circus, but all the action takes place inside of one, single ring.

Many of the big names were there, including John Cena, the Derek Jeter of professional wrestling, who fought in a cage match against the guy who has emerged as the No. 1 villain in the WWE, Dolph Ziggler.

The match was as staged as all heck--and with so many kids in the audience, you weren't going to see anything but a staged match--but it was fun nonetheless.



There were several other bouts on the card, starring the likes of 21st century wrestling "superstars" Santino Marella, Zack Ryder, Jack Swagger and many, many others. In the WWE, every wrestler is considered a "superstar," so you have some superstars who are actually pretty good, and some who are pretty bad, pretty much depending on the character that they are playing.

Yes, professional wrestling is often not only a circus, but it is a live cartoon.

Wrestlers often seemingly get pummeled, then somehow get back on their feet and gain a victory.

Yes, wrestlers do get hurt, they do get injured. I have seen it first hand in many of the matches my son and I have seen.

But the injury often happens when a wrestler misses his cue, isn't at the right place at the right time.

Sometimes the injury just happens because of the way a wrestler falls, or jumps, or lands.

But at this show, right before the New Year and with so many kids in attendance, this wasn't going to happen, or at least they were going to do everything to prevent it from happening.

That being said, a fun night was had by all, including my son and I.

My son loves wrestling, it is his passion, and I go along for the ride each time.

I was once like him when I was a kid, and I understand it. It is almost a right of passage.

So when the WWE comes around again, we will probably be there.

It's fun, not expensive compared to other professional sports, and it is entertaining.

What more can you ask for?


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

yasmin lawsuit