Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Rant #878: The Weight of the World



I am overweight.

I weigh more than I should for my frame and body.

I am 5 feet, 9 inches, and I weigh over 200 pounds.

I wasn't always like this, but as I've gotten older, I have put on the weight.

Do I exercise? Yes, I do. I have been exercising since I was hit with that nasty pinched nerve in my neck that I have told you about in previous Rants. It's still there, not going away anytime soon, and I have to exercise to make it at the very least tolerable, which I have done.

I exercise about 10-12 minutes a day because of this. No, that's not much, but that was what was prescribed by my doctor, a low-impact regimen, which I do after lunch and after dinner.

Do I eat well? Yes, I do. My wife makes sure of that. We don't eat that much meat, and we have lots of pasta and fish.

Do I also eat things I shouldn't eat? You bet I do. I eat cake, and I just love cookies. I have never been a candy eater, even as a child, so I rarely have a piece of candy, but I just love cookies. And I love snacks like chips, too.

Does my job add to my weight? Yes it does. As a writer, I am sitting by my computer more than 10 hours a day, so although I try to move around, yes, my job contributes to my weight.

I am sure you heard recently that there is a study out where researchers claim that having a little extra fat is actually OK for you, and prolongs your life. That extra layer acts as something of a padding, and helps you get through times that those without such extra weight have trouble managing.

It's early in the year, and I could say that one of my New Year's resolutions is to lose weight.

I could say that, couldn't I?

But I won't. New Year's resolutions are made to be broken, designed to be sabotaged somewhere down the line.

Let's just say that although I am quite content at my current situation, and my health is very good, according to my last physical just a few weeks ago, I could stand to lose a couple of pounds.

I am not going to get crazy about it, but if I could lose just a little weight, I think that would be good.

The first thing I have to do is not eat so many cookies. I just love cookies, and what is better than cookies with a glass of milk?

I have to stop that, or at least lessen it.

Let's see where this journey takes me ... maybe nowhere, but at least I am cognizant of it.

Let's weight ... err ... wait and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

yasmin lawsuit