Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Rant #894: Too Hot



Today, in the New York Metropolitan area, it is going to be around 60 degrees.

This is pretty balmy for January 30, wouldn't you say?

And it is especially balmy when you consider that on this past Friday into Saturday, we experienced temperatures that were maybe one-third of today's temperature--

And we had snow to boot!

Yes, it was in the low 20s and we had about an inch and a half of the white stuff.

The weather in this part of the world is changing.

The experts say "global warming," I say everything is kerflooey.

Just a few months ago, we experienced the mother of all hurricanes in the Northeast, Hurricane Sandy, which packed enough destruction for me that I don't ever want to see anything like that happen here, or anywhere else, again.

I think I read that last year was the warmest year on record, so whether it is global warming or things going kerflooey or something else, something is going on with our weather.

And you can't necessarily rely on your local TV weatherman or the Weather Channel, because I don't know if they really know what is going on, either.

I think maybe our standard of living has maybe caught up with our atmosphere, and that is why we are experiencing such crazy weather, especially in the Northeast.

Big cities give off heat, simply because their existence creates heat.

Tall buildings, car traffic, pollution, high concentrations of people and other factors create heat that waffles around the atmosphere and then moves on.

All of this has to impact the temperature, and although I am no meteorologist, I would say that our atmosphere, after taking it for many, many generations since the Industrial Revolution, maybe has reached its saturation point.

Our atmosphere was able to absorb all of this for hundreds of years, but it can't anymore, and that is sending things into the weather Twilight Zone.

Yes, I think that is part of what they call global warming, but again, I am no meteorologist, just a regular guy who thinks that something is awry.

I walked outside today, and the it is not only warm, but there is a thick layer of fog about that is like pea soup. That happens when the cooler land meets the warmer atmosphere (yes, I did take Earth Science in school).

Whatever the case, I guess I will bask in the warmth of the day, even though I will be inside for most of today at work.

But that bask won't last long, as I see that temperatures are going to start to plummet from today on, and get into the 20s and 30s again before we know it.

I tell you, things are kerflooey, they really are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

yasmin lawsuit