Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Rant #1,082: Weighty Matter



Uh oh!

Is this a precursor to how nasty people get around holiday time?

I went food shopping right after work on Friday evening, because I had a busy weekend and thought I could get this out of the way quicker on Friday than on Saturday.

I do the shopping, and come out to my car. A woman is standing at the car on the right of my car, leaning on her trunk.

As I opened my trunk to put the groceries in, she says to me, "I have been waiting for you for at least 10 minutes," as I turn to her with probably a big question mark on my face.

She then says to me, "You parked too close to my car and I can't get into it."

I checked my car, and I was parked pretty much in the middle of my spot.

I said to her, "I don't know, but let me do what I have to do and I'll pull out and everything will be fine," or something to that extent.

As I hurriedly put the groceries in the trunk, she is going on and on and on about how I parked too close to her car. I told her to just give me a few minutes, and I would be done.

Then she hit the bull's-eye. Evidently, I was not putting the groceries in fast enough for her liking, and she says to me, "Hurry up ... you are holding me up."

I stopped what I was doing and looked at her and said, "I am holding YOU up? How do you figure that I am holding you up?

When I finally took a look at her, I knew why.

She was in her 40s or early 50s, and maybe 5 feet tall, but she must have weighed 400 pounds! Her stomach was so large it was drooping to the floor, and that is why she was leaning against the hood like she was.

And by the way, she did not appear to be sick or out of breath when she was attacking me.

I said to her, "Look, I am putting the groceries in the car as fast as I can. Why can't you go into your car on the passenger's side?" since there was no car parked next to her on that side.

She replied, "I can't, and you are holding me up!"

I absolutely hate people like this. They blame their own failings on others, and quite frankly, I was in the center of the spot, but her bulk would force her to open up the door to her car fully to get in, and even at that, she would have to nudge herself in, as she didn't have a large car, more of a normal size sedan.

I probably shouldn't have done it, but she made me so angry by constantly repeating the "you're holding me up" refrain that I said to her:

"Maybe if you lost some weight you would be able to fit into your car."

I finished and drove off, shaking my head to make sure that I wasn't dreaming this entire episode.

And yes, she probably should lose some weight. You can't expect people to bow down to your every wish like this one if you are about 275 pounds overweight.

I might be sorry I said what I did, but I said it, and yes, I should have shut up, but her constant attacks on me reached a point that I had had enough.

Is this what we're looking forward to as the holidays approach, this type of attitude that we are all due something from everyone?

I hate it, I just hate it!

3 comments:

  1. That's why I try to do my shopping online. I hate rude people and those who expect you to cater to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has nothing to to with weight. The weight issue created the situation, but she would be just as obnoxious at 110 pounds.It's an entitlement attitude, that the rest of the world has to work around your needs. I've run into so many people who think you're asking them to move heaven and earth if youask them to move thier shopping cart so that you can get down the aisle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting replies ...

    Again, I was doing food shopping, so I don't think I would do such shopping online (although, of course, I could).

    And yes, it is the entitlement issue. I tried to be as polite as possible, but it ended up being an attack, and any time day--in particular, when I have just spent 10 1/2 hours at work--I am not in the mood to be slammed like this.

    ReplyDelete

 

yasmin lawsuit