Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Rant #1,093: Thanksgiving/Hanukkah Mix



Don't fully believe everything that you read about the supposed mix of Thanksgiving and Hanukkah that is happening this year.

Yes, the holidays do collide, but not in the way that the media is portraying it.

Tonight is the first night of Hanukkah.

Remember, Jewish celebrations begin at sundown.

Tomorrow is Thanksgtiving.

Tomorrow is also the first full day of Hanukkah.

So, to be exact, Thanksgiving falls on both the first full day of Hanukkah as well as the second night of the celebration.

Sure, it is important, because Hanukkah is an eight-day celebration, but the way the media is portraying it, both holidays open and close at the same time, which is not true at all.

I haven't even bought everything for Hanukkah yet.

I traditionally will buy everything that I still need tonight, after work.

I have been doing that for years, and I will do it again this year.

It is better for me. The stores are pretty much empty in anticipation of the Black Friday rush.

This year, of course, it makes a problem, because the first night of Hanukkah is tonight.

But I have told my family to wait for me, I won't be home very late, and we can celebrate when I get home.

Right now, it is stormy outside, and honestly, my allergies are really bothering me.

But tonight, I will put that all aside, and have a great beginning to a nice holiday ... err ... holidays.

Not good English, but a fine celebration nonetheless.

I will also take a few days off from this column, so I will next speak to you on Monday.

Have a great holiday ... err ... holidays.

4 comments:

  1. I am finding the convergence of the two holidays amusing. Actually bought a menurkey -- a menorah shaped like a turkey. A bit of fluff, a bit of fun for a once-in-a-lifetime event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once in a lifetime, unless you were around in 1888 or plan on being around in 70,000 years. Both holidays are about the family, so I have no real problem with this convergence. Have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You, too. I nominated you for a Liebster Award. http://songbirdscrazyworld.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-liebster-award.html It's a fun bit of fluff, if you want to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much. I have to check this thing out for myself.

    ReplyDelete

 

yasmin lawsuit