Monday, December 23, 2013

Rant #1,109: "Have a Good Holiday" or "Merry Christmas"



I am back, basking in the glow of both a good eye exam and having my name and picture in the newspaper this weekend in the story about my old neighborhood's Reunion this past October.

Anyway, this is also my last column before Christmas--I won't be back here until Thursday--so I say to all those that follow that holiday, "Have a good holiday," or should I say "Merry Christmas."

This is something that comes up every year right before the holiday. What is actually proper?

Some people say that "Have a good holiday" is proper, because it is all inclusive, not forgetting that there are other holidays during this time of year, and not just Christmas.

Others say "Merry Christmas," because, well, that is what it is.

Honestly, personally, I don't really think I am making any type of political statement when I say one or the other, but some people believe that you are making a political statement by your choice of greetings.

Do you send out Christmas cards or Season's Greetings cards to your Jewish friends? I am not talking about business associates, I am talking about your personal friends, and even relatives, during this time of year.

Now, that is making some type of statement, political or otherwise, that I do not understand and do not accept.

But when you say "Have a good holiday" or "Merry Christmas," are you making a statement of any kind?

This weekend, I watched one of the local news shows, and they put this question to the public.

One person said they use one greeting or the other, and one guy said that if one says "Merry Christmas" to him, he will say it back, and if another person says "Have a good holiday," he will return that back.

Me, I am not looking to make any political statement at all.

I simply say, "Have a good holiday," and leave it at that.

In this politically correct world, everybody seems to nitpick at the slightest nuance where they believe a political statement is being made.

Call the PC police on me, because I simply say, "Have a good holiday," and that is that.

What is the big deal? It is not like I am a Scrooge and don't acknowledge the holiday at all.

I think it is much worse when friends and relatives send my family Christmas cards--now that is making a statement.

Simply saying "Have a good holiday" is a nice greeting. I am more comfortable with it, if you will, but I don't go out of my way and say it just to say it.

I certainly wouldn't say to Santa, "Have a good holiday," and if the situation is obvious, I will say "Merry Christmas."

But as much as many Jews want to blend into this world seamlessly, if they acknowledge their own religion--which, admittedly, many don't--Christmas isn't much more than a day off from work.

But as far as the greeting, I am not trying to make a political statement, but PC police, you can arrest me if you want, but "Have a good holiday" it is.

And you have a good holiday, too.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

yasmin lawsuit