Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Rant #297: Afterglow


Boy, this was a busy past week for me and for a lot of other people.

In my end of the world, as you know, I had my neighborhood reunion, and I am still basking in the afterglow of that experience. It is one I will cherish for many years to come.

Also, I watched intently when Lebron James made his decision to go to Miami. Yes, I was one of those dopes who tuned into this travesty on ESPN, but I guess me and nearly 10 million others nearly legitimized this event.

This was a day after I went to the dentist to have my teeth checked out. No cavities, mom, but my crowns are decaying, I may need some new ones soon, and I face months of dentist visits.

This is after a past Saturday when I finally found a new GP doctor and was told that I am in relatively good health (no, I still don't have my medical records).

Yesterday, I watched the Home Run Derby contest, which is basically the day-before pre-game to the Major League Baseball All-Star Game, this year being held at Angels Stadium, Anaheim, Calif. David Ortiz, who I respect but hate at the same time for being a member of the Boston Red Sox, won the derby, but the real show is today, when eight Yankees (actually seven, with banged up Mariano Rivera bowing out), manager Joe Girardi and his coaching staff leading the American League against the National League.

This game is such a roller-coaster ride, with the AL and NL either being patsies or pummeling the other league year after year.

After a long run of dominance by the National League, the American League has clearly taken over the game, and it hasn't lost since the last century.

Since this is the only All-Star game that is the least bit interesting (and remember, it counts because the league that wins gets home-field advantage in the World Series), I will be tuning in tonight, and hopefully, the American League will continue its dominance.

Last night, my son went to a Broadway show in a camp trip, so I had to pick him up pretty late. The bus was supposed to arrive at a designated location at 11:30, but it didn't get there until near 12 midnight. Consequently, I didn't get to sleep until after 12:30 a.m., and then some nut called us twice at about 2 a.m. in the morning but left no message.

Well. today I am pooped. I got up at my usual 4:30 a.m.--how I accomplished this is a surprise to even myself--and here I am, a little bedraggled, but no worse for wear.

I still feel good about that reunion, and the afterglow, I guess, is keeping me going.

Sure, it will wear off, but at least I had the opportunity to experience it.

Now, for the rest of the day, I have to find a way to function. There's been lots on my plate lately, and, well, I could use a vacation ...

More on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

yasmin lawsuit