Monday, June 16, 2014

Rant #1,228: Shift In Focus



Yes, the spotlight was on dads this past weekend.

Father's Day went off without a hitch in my neck of the woods. The weekend was beautiful weather-wise, the company was good, and the food was too.

I have never eaten so much pizza in my entire life, but that is all right, there is nothing like pizza for real comfort food on Father's Day.

Now the focus, at least for my family, shifts dramatically. Where this weekend, the focus was on me, and the other dads in attendance, from today through this coming Sunday, the focus is on my son.

He has two graduations coming up, the first being today, the start of his final week in our local school system.

He is graduating BOCES, which stands for Board of Cooperative Education Services. He went there for the past two years in addition to going to regular high school, and he really enjoyed his experience at this school.

He was part of the retail branch, and he looked upon his time there as his college. He took it very, very seriously, and I think he learned a lot there.

That graduation is tonight. It is being held at the college that I received my master's degree from, C.W. Post College in Greenvale, Long Island, so it really closes the circle for us, or at least for me, having the graduation there.

He has a few more days of regular high school this week, and then the weekend comes, and it really IS all about him.

On Saturday afternoon, we have his graduation party. We are having a whole slew of people over, and it should be fun. They will get a chance to sign his yearbook, and a chance to wish him well as he moves onto the next level of his life.

That evening, we just happen to have WWE tickets for the Nassau Coliseum, so my son and I will go there, pretty much sending off that old lady into the sunset, as the place will be rebuilt next year. We wonder if this is the final WWE show we will be going to there, at least for now.

And then on Sunday evening, he graduates regular high school during a ceremony held at Hofstra University. He has a very large graduating class, so there will be plenty of people there to send these kids off, including, for my son, his parents and grandparents.

No, my son will not be going to college, but let me tell you, we are as proud of him as can be. He surmounted many, many odds and obstacles to reach the summit, so to speak, and he did it with a lot of drive, determination and aplomb.

He has at least a summer job lined up, at a day camp, and he will be tested in September to see what he can do and what he can't do as far as a regular, full-time job. He has applied for numerous jobs the past few weeks, and while he hasn't gotten any job offers, between the programs that he is in and his own determination, we feel it is just a matter of time before he gets something.

So this is going to be a busy week, leading into a busy summer. Work, at least for me, will basically take second fiddle to all of this, and it will be tiring, but it will be fun.

My wife and I are looking forward to all of this, and I can just imagine how my son is feeling. He hates to take center spotlight, but this week, he has no choice in the matter.

I will keep you updated on all of this, you can be sure of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

yasmin lawsuit