Friday, January 24, 2014

Rant #1,130: 45s



As you probably know if you read this blog regularly, I also run a number of Yahoo Groups and a few Facebook sites.

The Yahoo Groups sites deal with my tastes in music, everything from obscure pop music to the Dave Clark Five.

On Facebook, my sites generally are geared to my old neighborhood, and really, if you didn't live in Rochdale Village, South Jamaica, Queens, New York, I don't think these sites will be that inviting.

So the other day, while a bit bored during lunch, I created another site on Facebook that I think will have a more general appeal, especially to those who frequent this blog.

It is simply called "45s," and it deals with--not guns or bra size--my mania for collecting 45 rpm records, those little records with the holes in the middle that were huge during the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s and 1980s, but have generally faded into the mist.



Sure, 45s are still produced on a limited-run basis--I have actually bought a few brand new ones earlier this year--but like vinyl albums, they are being produced but are relatively difficult to come by.

My focus is on the 1960s, but my site looks at all 45s.

The nicest ones to put up are the ones with picture sleeves, so the preponderance of photos are gleaned from my extensive collection, which began in the aforementioned Rochdale Village and continues to grow when I have the money to buy these things.

We have started off pretty small. I currently have less than 50 members, but the site gets new members every day.



There are plenty of similar sites like mine, but mine is mine, what can I say. If you like what I write here, I am sure you will find the same viewpoint there too.

So why not give 45s a spin? It doesn't cost anything, and it is a fun site, nothing but fun, no controversy, no nothing.

So far, even with a small number of members, it has become an active site, and I look forward to visiting it every day and see what has been posted ... and then add something new myself.



So please, if you are looking for a Facebook site that is very non-confrontational, this is it.

And if you like music and records, this is also it.

The address is https://www.facebook.com/groups/45RPMSingles/, or simply type in 45s in the search box, and you will certainly find it.



Thanks, and this commercial break has ended. See you on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

yasmin lawsuit